Hovingham Methodist Church

© Hovingham Methodist Church 2015  

Hovingham Methodist Chapel was originally the Wesleyan Chapel. It was built in 1815 but there were Dissenters Meeting Houses in the village in the 1760’s.


We celebrated our bi-centenary over the weekend of June 13th /14th 2015, when we had an exhibition in the chapel, during the day and an evening visit from the York City Gospel Choir, which was held in the Village Hall on the Saturday followed by the anniversary service on the Sunday morning.  Sue Goodwill, one of our stewards produced a well received book on the history of the chapel which sold well over the weekend and Rev David Emison led our Sunday worship and then cut our anniversary cake.  A selection of photographs from the weekend can be seen on a separate page.


We are not a large chapel but our members are very active within the village. They help in organising the ecumenical Women's Fellowship, take school assemblies at Hovingham Church of England School and have become practised performers in an ‘Open the Book’ team, acting out biblical scenes in other local junior schools every week. We also organise the annual Shoebox Appeal in Hovingham each year.


Bi-annually we provide ‘light lunches’ at the popular Hovingham Village Market, serving soup, sandwiches, including the ‘bacon butties’, cakes etc – all home made of course.


A book on the history of this chapel may be obtained from Sue Goodwill on 01653 628077 at the price of £7 (or £9 to include postage)


 


Home About us Contact Us Photographs